MHA Organization for Mississippi Center for Quality & Workforce and the MS Council of Deans & Directors of Schools of Nursing jointly sponsor the Summer Student Nurse Externship Program (Externship Program). The Externship Program is designed to:
- Provide students in nursing with an opportunity to enhance previously learned skills under the supervision of experienced registered nurses in the healthcare setting.
- Assist students of nursing to experience acceptance in a work situation appropriate to their potential as future registered nurses.
- Prepare students to assume responsibilities of full-time employees with respect to performance requirements, policies, and procedures of a health care agency.
- Encourage retention of nursing graduates through provision of supplemental practice experience within the workplace.
The program is offered to students after successful completion of year one in nursing school. It lasts for 8 weeks or 320 hours. Students can earn college credit through the program. The students are taught by registered nurses. Through the program, the students get the opportunity to gain hands on experience. In addition, a paycheck is earned while completing the program.
Download and Complete Documents here:
- 1 APP HOSPITAL 2020
- 2 APP SON 2020
- 3 Program Guidelines 2020
- 4 Exclusion list 2020
- 5 Skills Checklist wi Exclusion list 2020
- 6 Student Participation Agreement 2020
- 7 EXTERN 2020 Extern Eval of Preceptor 2020
- 8 EXTERN 2020 Preceptor Eval of Extern 2020
- 9A Labor and Delivery Ticket_2020
- 9B Preceptor Guide for L&D externs 2019
Shared documents between Hospitals
Student nurses who have not had OB content in their SON curriculum can view video links to complete the Labor and Delivery Ticket.
See video link #1: https://youtu.be/TEBQKXKtlMo
See video link #2: https://youtu.be/7aXF8jptZnw
Approved Facilities for the Externship 2020 Program:
For any questions regarding the Summer Student Nurse Externship Program, please contact:
Tammy P. Livingston, Chair
King’s Daughters Medical Center
Brookhaven, MS (601) 757-2684
LaNelle Weems, Director
MS Center for Quality and Workforce
MHA Health, Research, and Educational Foundation
116 Woodgreen Crossing
Madison, MS 39110